Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Running Away

Do not be alarmed; I am not running away. I am simply running. Three miles yesterday and three today. It was 70+ degress outside, sunny, and oh-so-glorious to be outside enjoying a hobby that has been in my life from day one.

As a small child, people told me that I was fast. Although I think now that they were humoring me, at the time it made me feel like I was good at something! Feeling that way, what could I do but keep running?

Skip ahead to age 25. I am in almost the best shape of my life (barring the spring I ran a 10K race). But more important than that, I love to run! I love to get outside, pop my headphones in, and just start jogging. Just the act of putting one foot in front of the other is cleansing to the soul. It is the best time I have found to clear my mind, soak up the sunshine, and reconnect with God.

When I get home from a jog, I am genuinely tired. Not bored, restless, or fatigued, but truly tired. It is the kind of tired that says "I did something real today." I have a glimpse of the reasoning behind the biblical endorsement of manual labor.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it is running for or toward peace of mind and feel good rather than running away from the negatives that occur with inactivity.
    Doris

    ReplyDelete