Sunday, March 1, 2009

Soft Boiled Egg


I grew up with "dippy" eggs and "sandwich" eggs. Both were fried; the difference was that the dippy egg was cooked over medium, and the sandwich egg was cooked over hard. I also ate scrambled eggs, hard-boiled eggs, and eggs in a variety of omelets and skillets. But never once did I eat a soft-boiled egg.


Last year, during a visit to a friend, I was fed a soft-boiled egg for breakfast. I loved it! It was like a "dippy" egg but without the fried taste or the crunchy parts along the edges. But, to my discredit, I did not attempt to learn the art of cooking the soft-boiled egg until a few weeks ago. When I finally did, I was suprized at how easy it was!


Here is how:
Put your eggs in a sauce pan. Add enough water to cover them. Cover the pan and bring it to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat to low and cook the eggs, covered, for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, peel, and eat.


Soft-boiled eggs have solidified whites but creamy smooth yolks. During the cooking process, the yolk is pasturized, so it is safe to eat. My favorite way to eat them is for breakfast with toast and butter. I dip the toast in the "dippy" part, the yolk, and eat the hard egg whites with what is left of the soft yolk.


One pitfall to this glorious find is that I have yet to find a graceful way to eat the egg. I usually end up with yolk all over my fingers. Therefore, I cannot yet eat this dish in the presence of other people.
Does anyone have a good way to eat a soft-boiled egg?

2 comments:

  1. Eggs are one of those foods that sometimes "turn me away". And that "dippy" egg picture combined with my dinner last evening definitely "turns me away":( Last night we had homemade omlets for supper. Since becoming a citified urban gal, I have not had farm fresh eggs and a coworker has been blessing us with his excess farm fresh eggs so I took some. Well these are those browner colored eggs and the yolks were much yellower and the eggy smell much stronger...lets just leave it at that I enjoyed my toast and was grateful that our puppy dogs enjoyed my omlet! I don't think I will be wanting eggs anytime again soon:(
    Oh and to answer your question, the only time I ever saw people eating soft boiled eggs was in the college cafeteria and it did appear rather "icky" and messy. Enjoy your eggs and i will go back to my city eggs the next time I can face them:)
    Love
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggs and Potatoes are my two favorite foods in all the world, although cheese is an essential condiment! I will take them just about any way they come. I have recently been compiling and typing a drawer full of recipes to put together a family favorites cookbook for the kids and I am amazed by the number of brunch dishes in the batch. I also love an old German egg-based recipe of my mom's called "Schwarrem," which I will copy here. It's a yummy Lenten meal with applesauce or a warm fruit compote.

    *Schwarrem* Oma Mader

    Combine

    3 eggs

    ½ cup milk

    Salt

    Flour to make a pouring batter

    Pour into a greased frying pan. Chop up and turn. Serve with syrup, honey, or apple sauce.

    ReplyDelete