I know I have been awful at keeping this blog up to date! And, those of you who know me know that there is a lot to write about at the moment! ...
On April 4, 2009, Jon and I got engaged. He gave me a wonderful dinner, trip to the symphony, and beautiful diamond ring. Since then, we have been busy planning our November 14, 2009 wedding. We have had a lot of comments about how short of an engagement that is, but truly, I think that if you cannot plan a wedding in 6 months, it's too complicated! (Not that everyone should have that short of an engagement, just that it's feasible!)
Jon and I set about planning the most extravagant party that either of us ever hope to throw. We looked at about 8 reception locations, finally deciding to have the wedding in my hometown. I am surprisingly at peace with the decision to marry in my hometown. I thought we would probably choose a location nearer to where we both live, but I love the idea of going back home for this, the stereotypical biggest day of my life. More importantly, I really love the idea of Jon getting to know my hometown and learn to love about it the things I love.
After choosing a reception location, we spent a Saturday afternoon visiting every possible church in the town. There was a slight dilemma with this. It stemmed from my family being Catholic and Jon not being Catholic. Jon and I are Christians, try to rely on God for all of our needs, and attend a church called Grace Church. My parents are Catholic and their connections in my hometown are Catholic. Unfortunately, couples who are not Catholic cannot be married in a Catholic Church. For the time being, suffice it to say that we are getting married in a beautiful little Methodist Church by a Southern Baptist pastor.
The wedding dress was much more fun (and less stressful) for me than finding locations. I tried on many, many long white dresses, some of which were way outside of my style, some of which were way outside of my budget. Eventually, I found one that was perfect. I will not describe it here, since Jon has access to this blog. You will have to wait to see it later!
I will, however, add a link to a picture of the bridesmaid dress, which may give you an idea of the wedding's style. http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?style=6536 It is going to be in the color "peacock" which is not at all like the color "peacock" online. It is a bright, dark blue that looks neither greenish nor purpleish. In taffeta, its irridencence pulls surrounding colors, so in the dressing room with green curtains it looked like the ocean. The reception hall has red carpet, which will probably give the dresses a violet tinge. Colors are wonderful, no?
First of all, I am so excited for you Sarah. I wish that I could be at your wedding. Second, I am glad you are getting married in your hometown as well. I was so glad that I did and my John got to learn a lot about where I came from. Third, I love your bridesmaid dresses!! They are so pretty. Good choice.
ReplyDelete