Many years ago, I ate my first fried ice cream. It was a lovely sphere of hot crispiness covering delicious cold creamy vanilla ice cream. Unfortunately, I later learned that most fried ice cream is made by rolling ice cream in a crushed corn flake mixture and deep frying it. That variety is not as good, in my opinion.
Today I decided that I was going to make good fried ice cream. Without a deep fat fryer. Or a recipe.
I started by mixing about 1 tablespoon of butter with a little more than a tablespoon of brown sugar, a bit of flour, and a scoop of oatmeal. After adding a sprinkle of cinnamon, this concoction looked a lot like the crispy topping in apple crisp. I spread the crisp in a thin layer on a plate and broiled it for a couple of minutes, just long enough for the butter to melt and start to brown. Finally, I rolled a ball of vanilla ice cream in this mixture.
It was delicious! It tasted like apple crisp without the apples or the hour delay. Yum.
No comments:
Post a Comment