Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"I voted today, did you?"

As a citizen of this country, I am sorry to say that I have never been politically inclined.  I am a concrete thinker who does not at all like tension.  Politics is full of both abstraction and conflict.  Thus, I tend to be uninterested.

Last year I married a lawyer.  He is interested in politics.  He was actually "excited" to learn about the results.  Yes, he used the word "excited."  (The subject of this post is also from him, courtesy of Facebook.)  I was less "excited" and more "interested" to learn the results of the elections that took place today.

Although I was not excited, my interestedness is still an improvement over previous years' emotional respnses, which ranged from "apathetic" to "frustrated" to "annoyed".

In preparation for my voting experience today, I used PBS to educate myself.  I made a list of the candidates I was planning to vote for on a grocery list paper.  Then I took myself off to City Hall.  The first observation I made was that the people in my precinct assumed that I knew exactly what to expect.  I felt like saying, "Yes, I voted two years ago, and four years ago, and six years ago.  No, I do not remember exactly where I am supposed to sign my name on your little sign-in sheet."  Interestingly, I did not have to show any identification; I just had to sign my name twice and give them my phone number.  

The last thing I observed was that the litle machine that looks like a trash can which counts my votes is really neat.  It is so quick to grab my ballot and suck it in with a wonderful little "zoop" sound!  I wish I had something similar for my dirty dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment