Being in a funk is not a pleasant experience. We've all been there, and most of us get ourselves out of the funk with relative ease. Sometimes, though, it's good to think about the source of the funk and eliminate the etiology.
DEFINITION:
funk (n.) 1. a state of being down, unmotivated, or otherwise bummed out. 2. feeling of ennui. 3. that smell in your kitchen garbage.
I have recently been thinking a lot about the etiology of problems that are seemingly idiopathic. I've been reading a book about the possible causes of autism, which has gotten me to think about the possible causes of other things. Like funks.
POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR FUNKS:
1. Not enough socialization.
2. Too much sugar and not enough fruits and vegetables.
3. No break from the routine.
4. Relatedly, no routine.
5. Not enough exercise.
6. Not enough sleep.
7. Too much caffeine.
8. Not enough sunshine
The list can go on, but I'm sure that you can create your own list for causes of funks. In my case, funks are often caused by a collaboration of factors, most notably numbers 1, 2, and 3. Despite some self-uncertainty, I am a natural extrovert. I love sweets, but feel best on a healthy diet; and I thrive on variety.
Since moving to a new city a few months ago, I have found myself in a funk. The past couple of weeks have been pretty good. Let me tell you why!
ANTIFUNKALS:
1. Join a Bible study. It's full of people who meet regularly and rarely talk about work. It provides a weekly time to intentionally re-focus on the Lord and learn to better live life unselfishly.
2. Go rock-climbing. Again, the Wednesday night cheap-rate provides a weekly excuse to go talk to and meet new people. Plus, you get amazing exercise!
3. Join groups when they go out. Pay-day Friday happens every 2 weeks!
4. Plan events. Jon and I had "Clue" night at my apartment with a few people we know. It was great fun!
5. Plan dates. Hockey, anyone?
6. Buy fruit. Seriously, go. Now. Strawberries are on sale.
7. Read professional journal articles. This may be specific to me, but I love reading research!! Maybe that's only because I do not have much time to do it.
8. Make up funny words such as "antifunkals."
I love your new word. Antifunkals is a great way to catagorize these things.
ReplyDeleteLove
Doris