We have a "Jack and Jill" bathroom, which is two half-bathrooms separated by a room that has a tub and shower. This means, among other things, that my husband and I each have our own vanity to fill with bottles of things. His is better - he mostly stores cleaning supplies and T.P. I store five-year old bottles of hair supplies that I do not use and are probably long expired.
Every time I move, I think, "If this bottle is still around the next time I move, I'll throw it away." Do I? No. Why not? Because I keep telling myself that I'll clean it out the next time I move! I have moved ten times in the last ten years. That amounts to many opportunities to remove from my life hygiene and beauty supplies that I do not use.
In the past couple of months, I have come up with a minimally different solution. Instead of tossing the item "next time I move," I have been tossing as I have been finding the sad unused items. Additionally, I've been making a concerted effort to only purchase the items that I will use. Sometimes I fail. I have an almost-new bottle of conditioner in my bathroom that I will probably not use up because I found a conditioner I like better. But I also have tossed out a spray-can of some sort of hair wax that I did not like to begin with and is not appropriate for my current hairstyle.
On the other hand, some things I have found are staples in my cabinet. Obviously, the things I use all the time get to stay. Also, I have found that it is very useful to have a bottle of clear aloe vera gel, a spare bottle of saline solution, a couple of contact case containers, and a full set of travel toiletries.
I still have four plastic drawers full of bathroom stuff, and it often spills out into other spaces. It's a work in progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment