
I am a worrier. I am forgetful, and I am far too often careless. I blame my worry and anxiety on my forgetfulness, but I think that if I worried less I would also forget less. So many things crowd in on my mind that it is too easy for them to crowd God out.
Just the other day, I was walking to my car when I saw a man hunched over in his car. (I later learned that he was reading a map.) I thought about going over to make sure he was okay, but I didn't. When I got in my car, I was still pondering whether it would be prudent to make sure the man was okay. Halfway home, I was still thinking about it, worrying about the man and regretting that I had not stopped to check on him. Had I stopped worrying long enough to let God into my cluttered brain, I would have realized that I just needed to pray to God for guidance, and all would be clear!
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6
This verse from Philippians is one of my favorite. It was one of the first verses I memorized after becoming a Christian, and it is probably the one that comes to my head most often. I love that it includes the proposition "with thanksgiving." It means (not literally) to take a deep breath and thank God for that breath. To feel the breeze and thank God for the breeze. To sit down and thank God for a moment to sit down, or to stand up and thank God for the opportunity to stand up. Mostly, though, it means to thank God for the opportunity to thank God, to thank Him for His Son on the cross that allowed me to know Him. It means to stop worrying!
Just the other day, I was walking to my car when I saw a man hunched over in his car. (I later learned that he was reading a map.) I thought about going over to make sure he was okay, but I didn't. When I got in my car, I was still pondering whether it would be prudent to make sure the man was okay. Halfway home, I was still thinking about it, worrying about the man and regretting that I had not stopped to check on him. Had I stopped worrying long enough to let God into my cluttered brain, I would have realized that I just needed to pray to God for guidance, and all would be clear!
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6
This verse from Philippians is one of my favorite. It was one of the first verses I memorized after becoming a Christian, and it is probably the one that comes to my head most often. I love that it includes the proposition "with thanksgiving." It means (not literally) to take a deep breath and thank God for that breath. To feel the breeze and thank God for the breeze. To sit down and thank God for a moment to sit down, or to stand up and thank God for the opportunity to stand up. Mostly, though, it means to thank God for the opportunity to thank God, to thank Him for His Son on the cross that allowed me to know Him. It means to stop worrying!
“Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about so many things. But really one is needed and Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” Luke 10 41-42
Marla Cilley (I love that last name) wrote a book called Body Clutter that connects physical unhealthfulnes to clutter in one's home. That is, the book proposes that it is easier to keep one's body "uncluttered" if one's home is uncluttered. I think the same principle applies to one's mind and soul. It is easier to keep one's mind calm and quiet if one's home is organized and not too full. It is important to have a place to meditate on God and delve into his Word and his character in one's home, without being distracted by all the other tasks that need to be done.
My favorite place for meditation is our deck. We live in a third-floor apartment with a small deck on one side. My sister graciously donated a table and two chairs for our deck, so we have a nice place to sit. I think that sitting on the deck is so restful because I cannot see the dishes that need to be done, or the TV begging to be turned on. I can hear the birds and the wind in the leaves, and I can see cars coming and going from the parking lot, but it is much easier to block out the to-do list when I can't see it!
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8
photo credit: http://ultimatesuccessguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/free-your-thoughts1.jpg
No comments:
Post a Comment