In my last post, I told you about a few mis-communications in my marriage. Although we are both Christians, we are also newlyweds. As such, we are still learning each other's specific definitions for certain words or phrases, adjusting our expectations of what is "normal" and learning to live as a couple.
However, being a newly wed is not an excuse for poor communication. In fact, now is the perfect time to adopt Biblical communication habits! With that in mind, I began to research biblical principles of communication. I discovered first that there is a lot of information out there. Most of the articles I came across were long but reader-friendly.
While thorough information is wonderful, I would really like to have something that is succinct. Tell me all I need to know if a few words. With references.
So, here it is, in the words of me...
Speak honestly and openly, not hiding the ugly parts of oneself or distorting the truth. Speak lovingly, not degrading the person one loves. Speak sparingly, and listen carefully. Speak calmly, not using quarrelsome or angry words.
References:
The Bible
Pastor Chuck's compilation of verses.
www.epm.org
stephenonbible.blogspot.com
www.gracebiblegranbury.com
preachersfiles.com
www.reformedonline.com
No comments:
Post a Comment