If you have never heard of Sarah Susanka, you should look her up. She has written several excellent books over the past decade or so on the topics of home planning, space utilization, architecture, and interior design.
On her website, I found a link to an organization called Maitrhea. "Maitrhea" is a made-up word that was formed from the phrases "I am earth" and "I am heart." This organization shows me something that I already know: everyone is searching for something of the soul. Everyone wants something beyond the doldrums of this earthly existence.
We who know what we are looking for long just to share this knowledge with the world, but everyone needs to find it in his or her own way.
But, back to architecture and interior design. This organization, Maitrhea, and this woman, Sarah Susanka, are proponents of the idea that one's space can affect one's emotional health, and vice versa.
I have found this to be so true in my own life. When I live in a place that is cluttered or when my home in untidy, I get antsy, anxious, and unhappy. When my home is neat and when my things are put away and the house seems uncluttered, I am at peace and I can focus my energies on my God, my husband, and my work.
We are in the process of moving. There is now an entire room devoted to boxed stuff. There are bicycles in our dining room, and our closets are nearly empty. We have gone through a lot of stuff and gotten rid of a lot of stuff. Now, we are ready to move!
Except we are not actually moving until August. We have an entire month to live in a packed-up house. So how do we keep our sanity in this mess?
"But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made." Luke 10: 40a
That is me. I am Martha. I am always the person trying to make sure that the house is in order, the dishes are done, and I am ready for the next thing. But Mary sat at Jesus' feet. She did not care that the floor perhaps had not been swept, that there was laundry waiting to be folded, or that there was not a fancy dinner on the table! She wanted to sit at Jesus feet and listen.
Even though I think it is easier to rest and focus in a place that is peaceful and tidy, I need to learn to sit as Jesus feet.
Photo credit
No comments:
Post a Comment