If
Left to Tell did not give me dreams, I did not think that
The Imam's Daughter, by Hannah Shah, would. Was I ever wrong. This book is a wonderful, awful, horrific, uplifting story that I suggest you read. (Unless you are under age 18. Then I suggest that your parents read it first.)
Although it was not graphic the way that Left to Tell was, the true story portrayed was one that led me to wonder why certain people are allowed to become parents.
It begins when the author/main character was very young and walks the reader through a decade of sexual and physical abuse by a masochistic father who cared for nothing but the appearance of his own honor. The character eventually escapes both her family and her religion, but not without the ongoing threat of serious bodily harm and emotional scars that I am sure she is still dealing with.
I am so glad that this woman escaped the life she was born into, and I wish that many others would.
Read it. It will motivate you to want to DO SOMETHING.
No comments:
Post a Comment