Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book 11 of 44: Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World


Joanna Weaver wrote this book as encouragement to increase intimacy with God.  I agree with the premise.  However, the book was somewhat difficult to read.  It was laden with personal and second-hand anecdotes, stories and "advice boxes."  Some of these devices can add to the effectiveness of writing, but I fear that Ms. Weaver went a bit overboard.

Despite this failing, the writing encouraged my walk with Jesus.  As my mother will attest, I have difficulty with stillness.  I like to be busy; I am happiest when I am doing many things, visiting people and am generally over-committed.  Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World emphasises the need for balance between "Kitchen work", that is serving others, and "Living Room work," that is worshiping and listening to our Lord.

In our society there is a great emphasis on working hard.  We believe in some warped version of Ameritocracy, in which those who work hard will get ahead.  But we forget that even God took the seventh day off (as did many of our founding mothers and fathers).  Our own mental, spiritual, and physical health require rest.  We must have quiet time in prayer with the words of the Bible before us to stay the course on our walk with our God.

I must remember this.

No comments:

Post a Comment