The Question is a short but potent true story of Henri Alleg's detention and torture during the French/Algerian war of the 1950s and 1960s. Reading it, I found it hard to believe that such a horrible and emotional experience could result in a straightforward portrayal of the facts. I suppose, though, that such an experience can only be retold in a rational manner, eliminating the emotions altogether. Should one begin to portray emotions, one would undoubtedly get lost in the sadness and pain and forget to tell the facts of the matter.
This book forces one to take an opinion on the matter of torture. For myself, I believe that torture in any form is wrong, no matter the circumstances or perceived vitality of the information. As my husband told me so concisely last night, "You are made in the image of God, and are therefore worthy of love and respect." Regardless of one's actions, beliefs, goodness or evilness, every human being is worthy of love and respect because every human being is made in the image of God.
And I'm caught up! :) I love the new background. I counted my books. I appreciate your perspective on divergent thinking. And I agree with you on torture...but what would you say if the information could save countless lives or prevent greater suffering, and the only way to obtain it was through torture?
ReplyDeleteThat is a good question. And theoretically, it poses a moral challenge to my argument. However, according to the forward to the introduction to the preface to the book (it had all three!), the information received from torture sessions is often unreliable. So, I would say that God is in control of all things, and I am only in control of me. -Sarah
ReplyDelete