First, I think I will attempt to read all the books I have borrowed from people. Not counting the one I borrowed from my husband, I have ten:
From my sister Megan:
The Question, by Henri Alleg
The Sexual Life of an Islamist in Paris, by Leila Marouane
From my friend Lori:
Fancy Pants, by Cathy Marie Hake
Sarah My Beloved, by Sharlene MacLaren
Courting Emma, by Sharlene MacLaren
From my sister Dawn:
Imam’s Daughter, by Hannah Shah
Left To Tell, by Immaculee Ilibagiza
The Pact, by Jodi Picoult
The Pilot’s Wife, by Anita Shreve
The BFG, by Roald Dahl (Yes, I know this is a child’s book.)
I plan to start at the top of this list and move toward the bottom. I will undoubtedly jump around once I get going, which I think is a good thing. Jumping around will keep me from reading too much of the same type of literature in one stretch.
Let’s start with The Question. It is a short book, just 102 pages. It is a memoir/commentary about the author's one-month imprisonment and interrogation by the French government during Algeria's quest for independence. The book was published in 1958 and, according the back of the book, is the first book since the 1700s to be banned by the French government for political purposes.
No comments:
Post a Comment